Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Monday, October 11, 2010
Your midterm exam will be given in class on Wednesday, October 13, 2010. Everything we've covered in our readings, lectures, discussions, and videos are fair game, but if you focus on the following high points, you should do well:
- Olympus & its gods & goddesses, as described by both Hamilton & Graves. Know each deity's name, domain, and symbols
- The following chapters in Graves's book: Demeter's Lost Daughter, The Titans, The Underworld of Tartarus, The Birth of Hermes, Orpheus, Deucalion's Flood, Orion, Asclepius, King Midas's Ears, Sisyphus, The Labors of Heracles, Jason & the Golden Fleece, Perseus
- The following chapters in Hamilton's book: The Gods, The Two Great Gods of Earth, How the World and Mankind Were Created, Prometheus & Io
- Campbell's diagram of the psyche and theory of where in the psyche myth comes from; general and particular mythologies; the right- and left-hand paths; his view of human evolution and the development of male & female mythologies; mystical imagery of Achilles
- Be prepared to write an essay on one of the following topics: the origin & purposes of mythology; parallels in world mythology, particularly between Greece & Israel; mythology's relation to the human psyche and life-cycle; and the place of mythology through history and today.